Personal Support Workers-York Region
Job Category: Full Time
RESPONSIBILITIES (But not limited to):
- Review client care plan on PDA/Blackberry to understand client needs. Complete client checklists as required on the PDA/Blackberry. Report any safety issues or unusual findings to the Client Care Manager, immediately.
- Performs client care according to the agreed upon Client Care Plan, assist with simple health care routines such as reminders to maintain dietary restrictions, medication regimen, and recommended exercises, as per the tasks outlined in the Care Plan on the PDA/Blackberry.
- Communicate any significant change in your availability directly to the Client Care Coordinator.
- Be aware of the client’s ethno-cultural preferences and respect the client’s right to diversity, with an overall awareness of client safety.
- Teach safety and home management skills, while promoting independence with all activities of daily living.
- At all times seek the client’s implied consent prior to the commencement of any treatment such as a bath or transfer.
- Record observations and completion of tasks in the electronic chart via PDA/Blackberry.
- Maintain privacy and confidentiality with all interactions involving the client and colleagues.
- Ensure to complete febrile screener via PDA/Blackberry for each client visit.
- Participate in the performance appraisal process.
- Attend PSW team meetings as scheduled - minimum 3 per year.
- Attend educational opportunities for growth and development.
- Provide outstanding care, emotional support and encouragement to the client and caregivers
- Ensure timely checking of individual (PHCS) voice mail and email.
- Proper utilization of visit confirmation systems.
- Adhere to dress code policy, including the uniform and picture identification.
- Be willing to learn delegated acts to assist the client’s ability to maintain independence.
- Seek input from the client and client caregivers regarding personal care preferences.
- Be aware of changing policies, new ideas and opportunities.
- Be aware of routine and enhanced infection control precautions.
- Use gloves and other supplies in a responsible manner.
- Follow public health standards related to Hand Washing Protocols.
- Handle all equipment, such as mechanical lifts, carefully and report to the Client Care Manager immediately when equipment is in need of repair.
- Adhere to Occupational Health and Safety policies and report incidents appropriately and in a timely manner.
- Embraces a philosophy of safety in all performed duties.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Working experience with the elderly in a health care setting, knowledgeable with respect to their needs.
- Must be familiar with supplies and equipment used to carry out duties.
- Must understand the basis of good sanitation and sterile techniques to avoid infection or the spread of contagious illness.
- Must have effective verbal and written English communication skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Current Driver’s License, a minimum of one million dollars liability insurance and use of a reliable vehicle.
- Sensitive and empathetic to the needs of the clients.
- Valid Police Check & Vulnerable Sector Screening.
- Medical clearance indicating fitness for work.
- Successful completion of a Personal Support Worker certificate from an approved College or Private Institution meeting the standards established by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities.
- Current CPR/First Aid (Level C) Certification.
- Continues to grow and develop through attendance at seminars, workshops, etc.
WE INVEST IN YOU!
- Competitive Compensation and Benefits
- Flexible schedule
- Professional Development through innovative Educational Opportunities
- Tuition Assistance Reimbursement
- Opportunities for advancement
- Employee Recognition and Discount Programs
- Employee Referral Bonus
- A dynamic and supportive working environment
*personal support workers York region*